Monday, October 11, 2010

Pick-up or Delivery - Before and After


Sometimes the simplest subjects can be transformed into amazing pieces of art. Look what a portrait of a 16th century almost smiling woman did for the world of art (not that anything I create would measure up with this master, but a guy can dream, can’t he?). It’s fun to work on good, sold photographs and make them something more. After all, isn’t that what art is all about? Every one of us can see beauty in the natural and man-made world, but few of us can turn what we see into an image we want to hang on our wall and look at it over and over again. That to me is the real challenge in creating art. It’s also the great reward; creating something others enjoy and want to have in their home.






Before
After

Here are before and after versions of a fairly simple scene I found in Florence, Italy. The before was processed in Photoshop CS5 with several adjustment layers, including two layers using Topaz Adjust, and a composite layer with the layer Mode set to Overlay. And I liked it. But since I can rarely leave well enough alone, I thought this image was a good candidate for a “painting” look. So using Corel Painter Essentials (which is a very cool painting program once you get the hang of it) I created 3 different hand painted versions. I then combined those in CS5 as separate layers and blended them to create this final version. I’m really into this kind of effect because, like many photographers, I am a frustrated painter. And not being able to paint at all, I love that I can experiment with digital painting.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment