Tuesday, June 28, 2011

More Black & White


Angel & Cross
Dante at the Church


I've been off the blog train for some time, but now I'm back with some more black and white work.  On the left is Angel & Cross taken at a very small and somewhat remote cemetery in the tiny town of Vinton, California.  Vinton is about 30 mile due west of Reno along Highway 70 in California.  I've been through Vinton and visited this cemetery many times and on this day found the light and sky very compelling for the camera.  Cemeteries are an interest subject to photograph for me and I visit these final resting places on my travels.


On the right is Dante at the Church.  This statue of Dante Alighieri, the famous poet and writer of "The Divine Comedy", among other things, sits outside the Church of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy.  Interesting to note that Dante was exiled from Florence due to his siding with the wrong side in a struggle for power in the city/state of Florence.  So naturally they put up a statue of him to honor his contribution to art and literature.  Funny thing politics. I've made several versions of this image, color, black and white, sepia, etc., and ended up liking this black and white version the best.  

No comments:

Post a Comment